FOR YOUR GYM MEMBERSHIP FEES
Lifestyle Tax Relief (Budget 2017)
Currently, in order to inculcate good reading habits, nurture healthy lifestyles, and enhance usage of computers and the Internet, a tax resident individual is entitled to claim the following reliefs:
1. Tax relief of up to MYR 1,000 for the purchase of reading materials (excluding newspapers and banned reading materials);
2. Tax relief of up to MYR 300 for the purchase of sports equipment for sports activities as defined under the Sports Development Act 1997; and
3. Tax relief of up to MYR 3,000 for the purchase of a computer to be claimable once over a three-year period.
To provide flexibility for taxpayers to claim the above tax reliefs, the government has proposed that the reliefs be combined into a new relief known as the “lifestyle relief” with a limit of up to MYR 2,500. Further, the scope of the lifestyle relief is expanded to include:
1. Purchases of printed daily newspapers;
2. Purchases of a smartphone or tablet;
3. Internet subscriptions (tax relief of up to MYR 500 for a broadband Internet subscription was granted from YA 2010 until YA 2012); and
4. Gymnasium membership fees.
The above measures are due to take effect from 1 January 2017.
( *Tax relief above is applicable for your Fitness First membership dues under the 2017 budget.)